Saturday, April 6, 2019

Graphic Novel Review of The Adventure Zone: Here There Be Gerblins by Clint, Griffin, Justin & Travis McElroy & Illustrated by Carey Peitsch

Read for: Borrowed Books & Booktube SFF Shortlist

Synopsis: "Welcome to the Adventure Zone!

SEE! The illustrated exploits of three lovable dummies set loose in a classic fantasy adventure!

READ! Their journey from small-time bodyguards to world-class artifact hunters!

MARVEL! At the sheer metafictional chutzpah of a graphic novel based on a story created in a podcast where three dudes and their dad play a tabletop role playing game in real time!

Join Taako the elf wizard, Merle the dwarf cleric, and Magnus the human warrior for an adventure they are poorly equipped to handle AT BEST, guided ("guided") by their snarky DM, in a graphic novel that, like the smash-hit podcast it's based on, will tickle your funny bone, tug your heartstrings, and probably pants you if you give it half a chance.

With endearingly off-kilter storytelling from master goofballs Clint McElroy and the McElroy brothers, and vivid, adorable art by Carey Pietsch, The Adventure Zone: Here There be Gerblins is the comics equivalent of role-playing in your friend's basement at 2am, eating Cheetos and laughing your ass off as she rolls critical failure after critical failure."

My Review: I picked this one up from the library because it made the Booktube SFF shortlist this year. I had honestly never heard of it and I am a little glad I was able to borrow it over the high cost of purchasing. I was not familiar with the podcast that I guess this revolves around and maybe if I had been it would have increased my enjoyment. It is written as though it is a table top roll play, which I have never played, only online role playing in limited amounts, and if you aren't familiar you may have a difficult time with it. I was not really a fan of the characters, yes characters each need their strengths and flaws but these seemed way over pronounced and I found them all very annoying. I think this is great for a rather narrow group of readers who enjoy RPG and are familiar with the podcast, but those of us on the outside will most likely struggle.


My Rating: Sadly, this one did not work for me, though it is more due to my lack of familiarity with RPGs than about the book itself.  I give it a rating of Two Paws but if RPG is your thing, maybe give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment