Thursday, December 13, 2018

Advent Reads Day 13: The Christmas Note by Donna VanLiere

Read for: Mount TBR

Previous Books in the Christmas Hope Series

Synopsis: "Gretchen Daniels has recently moved into a condo with her two children to be closer to her mother, Miriam. As they build a life together in their new community, they notice a mysterious young woman, Melissa McCreary, who lives next door. She has few possessions, little personality, and keeps to herself. One day a local landlord who is looking for Melissa knocks on Gretchen's door for assistance. Melissa's mother has died and in the coming weeks the landlord needs Melissa to empty her mother's apartment. Gretchen reaches out and offers to help Melissa, but the apartment is a gut-wrenching shamble of a home. There is little worth saving except for a few photos and a note that is discovered on the crate beside the bed. It is unfinished, but in the two scribbled lines, Melissa discovers secrets about her family that she never could have imagined. Can two very different women embark on a journey that explores a long-buried need for forgiveness, hope, and redemption?"

My Review: For some reason I still struggle to picture Miriam as a mother but I really enjoyed getting this aspect of her character. I enjoyed each of the characters and really understood loved the development each one goes through as the story continues. The conclusion did come across a little too prefect for my liking, things just worked out a little too much, but I guess that is the joy of Christmas stories. It was a good continuation of the story and I love how Miriam and Gloria are such meddlesome ladies and I love their banter.

My Rating: While I did enjoy this one and I love the happy feel good stories for Christmas, this ending was just a little too coincidental and perfect for me.  I still really enjoyed it and give it a rating of Three Paws and a Stump Wag.

No comments:

Post a Comment