Saturday, December 17, 2016

Advent Reads Day 17: The Unexpected Christmas: The Story of Johnny Cornflakes by Denise George

Welcome to Advent Reads!
This is an event I have had on my blog for several years running now.  Each evening I feature a different holiday themed book. Think of it as your Book Advent Calendar! I post a variety of holiday books including romance, children's, middle-grade, mystery, paranormal, and I try to find some that are other holiday celebrations than Christmas too. I hope you will stop by each evening to see what new book I have for you!
 
 
Synopsis: "Who would expect to find the spirit of Christmas in a roaming, eccentric homeless man? Certainly not Denise, a pampered southerner newly transported to an inner-city area near Boston. Denise and her seminarian husband, Timothy, made the move to urban New England to begin a ministry with the area's street kids. Their ministry goes well, except for the interference of the homeless man, whom the kids call Johnny Cornflakes (so named for his food preferences). Denise finds Johnny's recurrent forays into her life a bit more than she bargained for. But Johnny has some surprises for Denise, who doesn't expect to find compassion she never knew in a most unusual Christmas. This tale, based on a true story, is sure to warm the heart of every reader."

My Review: I am not really sure how I feel about this book. When I read the synopsis I thought it might be a great feel good and inspirational story for the holiday season but honestly it left me with a little bit of a sour taste. It came off a little like bragging to me, like she wanted everyone to see how she went out of her comfort zone and trudged down alleys to help Johnny. It felt less about helping someone but more about redeeming herself. Maybe I was just not in the right frame of mind to read this book but it just didn't work for me.
 
My Rating: This wasn't my favorite book and it didn't give me the warm fuzzy feeling I look for during the holidays but maybe it will work for someone else.  I give it a rating of Two Paws.


No comments:

Post a Comment