Saturday, February 6, 2016

Fun with Munchkin: Game Time

As part of my resolutions for 2016, I wanted to do more fun things with Munchkin and as a family.  I will be posting sporadically about some of the fun adventures we are having together.
 
 
So with the chilly winter weather and football season coming to a close, we have loads of time at home as a family on the weekends.  Thankfully Munchkin is very much into playing board games and as that was a highlight of my childhood I am more than happy to accommodate him.  We of course also convince Hubby to play too.
 
In the past month we have played Candy Land (though I miss the artwork on my old game)
 
 
Chutes and Ladders (again what was wrong with the old artwork, it is so hard to see the squares on this one). 
 
Munchkin even roped a good friend of mine into playing Cooties with him! She hadn't even managed to get her coat off when he bombarded her at the door wanting to play a game. 
 
 
Sometimes I wonder if I am doing him a disservice by not allowing video games/tablets/apps yet since those are skills he will need throughout his life now, but at the same time I feel like the skills learned and the memories gained while playing games with friends and family far outweighs the potential setback.


2 comments:

  1. I love board games. It's too bad they changed the old artwork. I don't think you're doing him a disservice at all. I taught some 4 and 5 year olds last year and let's just say I could tell which ones just sat in front of a tv or video games all the time. They're much harder to teach. They can't focus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny, it is good to hear that I may not be setting him behind his class. I always worry about him when I see other kids younger than him able to use a tablet on their own, or even a computer and he just likes to pop the bubbles on my phone (he doesn't even know how to open it). I am thinking about upgrading my old nook to one of the tablets and getting him a couple of his own books and programs on it though.

      Delete