Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Tasty Attempts: 4th of July Party Treats

Last year I had started posting What's For Dinner. While I really enjoyed those posts, it was hard to keep up with a weekly post, especially since Munchkin is getting a little more picky about his diet and we are having a lot of repeat meals (sometimes the same thing several times a week). I still wanted to keep posting tasty recipes but include a little more variety (like the appetizers and desserts that I make for various parties). So I am now posting Tasty Attempts every other Tuesday. The posts will include a variety of recipes, maybe some of them turn out tasty, maybe others are failed attempts.
 
 
 
We always get invited to an insane amount of BBQs and parties for the 4th of July, at least that means I never have to host a party for that particular holiday. It also means I need to figure out travel friendly dishes to take to all the various parties.  This year we picked two gatherings to attend, one we go to every year and it is huge and the other a much smaller exclusive gathering. I wanted to pick dishes Munchkin could help with so here is what we decided on.
 
 
The first party has a lot of young kids and as I said is huge so I made 2 dishes to take with us.
 
First was an idea from Pinterest that I expanded on to add mini marshmallow bits to make stars in the blueberry field. We almost always have blueberries and strawberries on hand, luckily I also had the marshmallows and the pretzels too. So it was quick and easy to make at not much extra cost.
 
The second was also from Pinterest. Munchkin loves marshmallows and I keep them on hand as rewards so again I had everything on hand for these and Munchkin enjoyed helping. The only issue with these is they didn't hold up real well with all the heat and humidity. They were fine for a while but if left out more than a couple hours they got really sticky.
 
 
 
And for the second and last gathering of the day, I knew we would be there too late for meals but figured a nice snack type food would be great. This Firecracker Popcorn from Pinterest was a huge hit. It was simple to make and I had everything on hand except the pop rocks so those got left out. Munchkin also really had fun helping with it and told everyone he made the popcorn.
 
 
 


2 comments:

  1. I really adore these 4th of July Party Treats. The party looks very enjoyable. Thanks for sharing details. I also would be booking one of my favorite rooftop venues in San Francisco for my fiancĂ©’s birthday bash. I am sure he would like this surprise party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope that you have a fun party and that your fiance enjoys the surprise! I can't imagine a rooftop party, that must be so fun especially after dark!

      Delete