Thursday, June 5, 2014

After Dark Review of In the Service of the King by Laura Kaye

I have added After Dark Reviews to my blog as a way of notifying you of a review of a book with Adult themes and scenes. From now on I will keep my reviews of all books I read that have explicit scenes in them for late night posts for those of you who prefer to avoid them or easy to find for those of you who seek them out ;)
 
 
 
Synopsis: "Kael, Warrior King of the Vampires, loathes the Night of the Proffering. He needs the blood of either his mate or a human virgin to maintain his strength, but hasn't enjoyed the ritual since he lost his mate centuries ago. Kael doesn't want a new companion, yet his resolve is tested when he lays eyes on his new offering, Shayla McKinnon. He is drawn to Shayla's beauty and poise...and the submission she offers. She is eager to give him anything he wishes, including her innocence, to please him. Will Kael give in to their overwhelming desire—even if it means risking Shayla's life?"

My Review: This is another book I had a hard time rating, it should really be a 3.5 star rating. It is a short book, almost novella, but Kaye did an excellent job of creating characters and world building in such a short amount of time without info dumping. I really came to love the characters and really wanted the best for them. I also really appreciated how Kaye built and explained the many rituals throughout the book, I was able to follow easily. I do feel like I could have used a little more back story boy about Shayla and the Vampires as a whole, but since this is the first book in the series I think it may come up in the following two books.
 
My Rating: This was good just not quite on the level I have come to expect from Kaye.  She did however do a great job of world building and setting up for the series.  I give it a rating of Three Paws and a Stump Wag.

No comments:

Post a Comment