Saturday, January 26, 2019

Graphic Novel Review of Moongirl and Devil Dinosaur Vol.1: BFF by Amy Reeder, Brandon Montclare & Natacha Bustos

Read for: Graphic Novel Challenge

Synopsis: "LUNELLA LAFAYETTE IS AN INHUMAN PRETEEN GENIUS WHO WANTS TO CHANGE THE WORLD! 

That job would be a lot easier if she wasn't living in mortal fear of her latent Inhuman gene. There's no telling what she'll turn into - but Luna's got a plan. All she needs is an Omni-Wave Projector. Easy, right? That is, until a red-scaled beast is teleported from the prehistoric past to a far-flung future we call...today! Together they're the most Marvelous Team-Up of all - the Inhuman Moon Girl and time-tossed Devil Dinosaur! But will they be BFFs forever, or just until DD's dinner time? And Lunella soon learns that there are other problems with a having a titanic T. Rex as a pet in the modern-day Marvel Universe. School, for one. Monster hunters are another - especially when they're the Totally Awesome Hulk! Then there's the fact that everyone's favorite dino didn't journey through time alone. Beware the prehistoric savages known as the Killer-Folk - New York City's deadliest tourists! Can Lunella handle all this turmoil... and keep herself from transforming into an Inhuman monster?"

My Review: I found this idea intriguing, a genius girl teaming up with a dinosaur. It was fun and weird, but the right kind of weird. A different take on the super hero and I loved that idea. I was a little confused by the science/math element with the genetic element and what exactly is going on with that plot line, I am sure more will be explained in the next volume. I also was not a fan of the cavemen, nor was I entirely sure what they were after in their story line. But I am happy with the focus on Lunella and Devil Dinosaur, whom I absolutely love! The art style was a little busy for my liking but the bright colors really draws the eye.

My Rating: There were definitely parts I enjoyed and parts I didn't enjoy in this one, but all in all Lunella & Devil Dinosaur totally won me over.  I give it a rating of Three Paws.

2 comments:

  1. I've seen this around, but I didn't know what it was. It sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was different and unique but yet still familiar. I think you might enjoy it, and maybe Gnome too in a year or two maybe.

      Delete