Saturday, December 1, 2018

Advent Reads Day 1: Christmas Stories by Laura Ingalls Wilder

Read for: Advent Reads & Newly Added

Synopsis: "Join the original pioneer girl in this Little House chapter book, adapted for younger readers from Laura Ingalls Wilder’s beloved classics.

Illustrated with beautiful new black-and-white artwork, this repackaged edition includes bonus material such as games, activities, and more!

For Laura Ingalls, Christmas means good things to eat, visits from friends, and special gifts to give and receive. As Laura grows up, every Christmas is better than the one before."

My Review: I really enjoyed the Christmas parts in the full length novels of the original series, and this is a great way to condense them and make it easy for young readers to enjoy. I loved being able to revisit some of my favorite Christmases with Ma, Pa, Laura, Mary, Carrie and even Grace. This will be a great book to read with Munchkin over the holiday season and introduce him to their stories. It is also great that you don't have to read this series of chapter books in order as they take bits and pieces throughout the series on a common theme and puts them together. So each book is chronological and can be read on its own.

My Rating: I really enjoyed this one, and love how it condensed all the holiday stories into one book. It is short enough for young readers to follow and enjoy but still long enough to have the same feel as the original books.  I give it a rating of Four Paws!



Do you have a favorite holiday tradition your Grandparents or even Great Grandparents have handed down? Or is there a story they tell every year?

2 comments:

  1. Whoever came up with this idea is a genius! I loved the Christmas parts in the books too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right?! When I was a kid we tried a bunch of their traditions, like the molasses candy in the snow. So much fun and great memories.

      Delete