Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Review of May B. by Caroline Starr Rose

Read for Recent Purchase

Synopsis: "I’ve known it since last night:
It’s been too long to expect them to return.
Something’s happened.

May is helping out on a neighbor’s Kansas prairie homestead—just until Christmas, says Pa. She wants to contribute, but it’s hard to be separated from her family by 15 long, unfamiliar miles. Then the unthinkable happens: May is abandoned. Trapped in a tiny snow-covered sod house, isolated from family and neighbors, May must prepare for the oncoming winter. While fighting to survive, May’s memories of her struggles with reading at school come back to haunt her. But she’s determined to find her way home again."

My Review: I picked this book up on a whim while searching for holiday themed books, and I love books written in verse. I really enjoyed this book, though it wasn't exactly a Christmas book. It makes me really appreciate the luxuries we have today and the resilience of young people in particular during the time period. The format of writing in verse takes a bit away from the harsh situation May found herself in and it does gloss over a bit what she had to do to survive, but it does a beautiful job of portraying her internal struggles. The beautiful writing keeps you engaged in the story even though not a whole lot happens as May spends months on her own. I would definitely recommend reading this in the fall and winter as it was wonderfully atmospheric.

My Rating: I really enjoyed this book even though it wasn't quite what I was expecting.  Even with all the beauty of this book, it does face some rather harsh subject matters, especially the way that individuals with learning disabilities were treated. It makes me glad that we have come such a long way in understanding the struggles individuals face.  This is definitely a beautiful story and one that young readers and adults alike can really enjoy.  I give it a rating of Four Paws!

No comments:

Post a Comment