Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Advent Reads Day 12: Angels at the Table by Debbie Macomber

Welcome to Advent Reads!
This is an event I have had on my blog for several years running now.  Each evening I feature a different holiday themed book. Think of it as your Book Advent Calendar! I post a variety of holiday books including romance, children's, middle-grade, mystery, paranormal, and I try to find some that are other holiday celebrations than Christmas too. I hope you will stop by each evening to see what new book I have for you!


Read for: Mount TBR

Synopsis: "In this joyous and whimsical holiday novel, Debbie Macomber rings in the season with the return of Shirley, Goodness, and Mercy, delivering laughs, love, and a charming dose of angelic intervention.

Shirley, Goodness, and Mercy know that an angel’s work is never done, especially during a time as wondrous as New Year’s Eve. With an apprentice angel, Will, under their wings, they descend upon Times Square in New York City eager to join in the festivities. And when Will spies two lonely strangers in the crowd, he decides midnight is the perfect time to lend a heavenly helping hand.

Lucie Farrara and Aren Fairchild meet after bumping into each other—seemingly by accident—in Times Square on New Year’s Eve. They immediately hit it off and find they have a lot in common: Lucie is a burgeoning chef and Aren is a respected food critic. But just as quickly as they’re brought together, another twist of fate tears them apart, leaving Lucie and Aren with no way to reconnect.

A year later, Lucie is the chef of an acclaimed new restaurant and Aren is a successful columnist for a major New York newspaper. For all the time that’s passed, the two have not forgotten their one serendipitous evening—and neither have Shirley, Goodness, Mercy, and Will. To reunite the young couple, the angels cook up a brilliant plan: mix true love, a second chance, and a generous sprinkle of mischief to create an unforgettable Christmas miracle."



My Review: I have had this book on my shelf for a couple of years, I have always enjoyed Debbie Macomber's work and I loved the play on the names of the angels. It was a bit confusing at first, this is definitely one that if you can you should read the previous books before this one. I listened to it on audio book and the narrator did a great job of adding in the NY/NJ accent but it was difficult to distinguish each of the angels from one another. It was a light story but the bouncing from the main characters of the romance to the angels didn't really allow for me to become really attached to the characters the way I usually do in romance. It also doesn't have quite the level of polish of Debbie's more recent work, I much prefer her stand alone Christmas books. It is still a fun, easy and light read to enjoy over the holidays.


My Rating: This is a fun little book, I think you really need to have followed the Angels series the whole way through to really get the humor, there are several events that happened previously that were alluded to.  I much prefer her stand alone Christmas books during the holiday season.  I give it a rating of Two Paws and a Stump Wag.


No comments:

Post a Comment