Saturday, April 16, 2016

RI Author Feature: Into Your Light by Julianne Palumbo

 
Synopsis: "The chapbook portrays the deeply-treasured and sometimes harrowing experience of raising teenagers examined from the perspective of a mother saying ‘good-bye’ as her children leave for college."

My Review: While Announcing the Thaw was about memories of motherhood from young children all the way through leaving home, this book focuses entirely on those difficult teenage years. While I have yet to experience those with Munchkin, I can definitely relate to the things I put my own mother through in those years. I am seeing things more from her perspective now and am realizing that I wasn't the only one adjusting to new situations and growing up. This collection of poems captures these moments of pride, despair, sentimentality, loss and discovery.
 
My Rating: This was another beautiful book of poetry, it is definitely geared more towards parents, particularly mothers, than her previous poetry book. I give it a rating of Three Paws and a Stump Wag.
 
I have not had the pleasure of meeting Ms. Palumbo, I did pick up this book at a local bookstore that had a section set up for our local authors.
 
You can find out more about Ms. Palumbo's books on her Website.
 
You can purchase your own copy of Into Your Light on her Website.
 

2 comments:

  1. Being able to relate to a book despite having gone through a similar situation is pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes poetry just really works, not always though but it is like magic when it does.

      Delete