Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Tasty Attempts: Family Recipe - Cheese Ball

Last year I had started posting What's For Dinner. While I really enjoyed those posts, it was hard to keep up with a weekly post, especially since Munchkin is getting a little more picky about his diet and we are having a lot of repeat meals (sometimes the same thing several times a week). I still wanted to keep posting tasty recipes but include a little more variety (like the appetizers and desserts that I make for various parties). So I am now posting Tasty Attempts every other Tuesday. The posts will include a variety of recipes, maybe some of them turn out tasty, maybe others are failed attempts.
 
 
So there is almost always that dish that your family is required to bring to every event, you have constant requests for the recipe and everyone always loves it.  Oddly enough for me it is a cheese ball (more like a spread honestly) that my mom has been making since I can remember. I then brought the recipe with me when I moved to RI and been making it ever since.  I mainly only make it from Thanksgiving through New Years but occasionally I will make it for another special event.
 
 
So here it is:
2 - 8oz bricks of Cream Cheese
8 oz. Velveeta brick cheese (you could also use 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese)
1 Tbsp Chopped Pimentos (you know those red things in the green olives, yes you can buy those in a jar)
1 Tbsp Chopped onion
2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
2 tsp Lemon Juice
Dash Salt
Dash of Cayenne Pepper (more if you want some kick)
 
Dried Parsley & Finely Chopped Nuts if you want to roll it into a ball (I honestly never do this)
 
Let it all come to room temperature (this is especially important for the cheeses) toss them all in a bowl
and mix thoroughly until there are no lumps of cheese left. This is best done with your hands and it is a messy, sticky job. This is best enjoyed after letting chill for at least 4 hours to let the flavors meld.  Can be enjoyed with cheese, crusty bread or even pretzels.
 
I hope you enjoy this, our family certainly does and so do all of our friends & co-workers. I make at least 4 batches over the holidays!
 


2 comments:

  1. Mm mm! I love cheese balls. I'm pretty lazy though. I always just buy them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After eating my mom's for years, I can't stand store bought cheese balls. It is one thing that I always go out of my way to make.

      Delete