Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Tasty Attempts: Fall Veggie Torte

Last year I had started posting What's For Dinner. While I really enjoyed those posts, it was hard to keep up with a weekly post, especially since Munchkin is getting a little more picky about his diet and we are having a lot of repeat meals (sometimes the same thing several times a week). I still wanted to keep posting tasty recipes but include a little more variety (like the appetizers and desserts that I make for various parties). So I am now posting Tasty Attempts every other Tuesday. The posts will include a variety of recipes, maybe some of them turn out tasty, maybe others are failed attempts.
 
 
 
I was watching Dinners Drive Ins and Dives one night and a restaurant made this delicious looking veggie torte and I knew I had to make it too. So I went on a hunt for a simple, yet similar recipe and came across this one on Pinterest.
 
This was a learning recipe for me, usually Hubby is the one to deal with eggplant so I had to learn how to prepare it, and I also had to watch a video on how to work with butternut squash, we have never cooked with it before. I did alter the recipe a tiny bit and of course added baby bella mushrooms that we had leftover from making risotto over the weekend, and I am not a fan of artichokes so I left those out and Hubby isn't a huge fan of bell peppers either so I left them out as well. Instead I used the eggplant and butternut squash like I saw on DDD.
 
 
 
I was surprised how easy this recipe was to make, other than the prep time to chop and roast the veggies it was quick and painless! I think next time I would use less of the garlic and herb cheese, it was a little overwhelming. It also made a LOT (2 torte), for this little family of 3, we will be eating it for a while, but it would be fantastic for the holidays!
 
 
 


2 comments:

  1. I wish I had your ambition. I'm so lazy when it comes to cooking! This looks very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I really am not that ambitious, some of these recipes look difficult but really aren't. Like this one, I searched through a bunch of recipes until I found the easiest one to accomplish what I wanted. That is the wonderful thing about online recipes, you can use the word simple in your search queue.

      Delete