Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Review of Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas

Read for: Mount TBR & Series Challenge
 
Synopsis: "From the throne of glass rules a king with a fist of iron and a soul as black as pitch. Assassin Celaena Sardothien won a brutal contest to become his Champion. Yet Celaena is far from loyal to the crown. She hides her secret vigilantly; she knows that the man she serves is bent on evil.

Keeping up the deadly charade becomes increasingly difficult when Celaena realizes she is not the only one seeking justice. As she tries to untangle the mysteries buried deep within the glass castle, her closest relationships suffer. It seems no one is above questioning her allegiances—not the Crown Prince Dorian; not Chaol, the Captain of the Guard; not even her best friend, Nehemia, a foreign princess with a rebel heart.

Then one terrible night, the secrets they have all been keeping lead to an unspeakable tragedy. As Celaena's world shatters, she will be forced to give up the very thing most precious to her and decide once and for all where her true loyalties lie... and whom she is ultimately willing to fight for."


My Review: This was a good improvement on the first book but almost so much better that there was a drastic difference in character. Celaena almost didn't seem like the same person but did play the part of assassin much better in this book. Unfortunately for me she is being set up to be too much, I am not buying the flaws compared to the perfections. There were some good twists in the book, some unpleasant surprised but it was nice to see. It was a much more captivating read, but it still wasn't quite there for me. I am a little curious as to where the series will proceed from here.
 
My Rating: I was happy to read that this book was so different from the first but it also has me worried about how much Celaena will continue to drastically change through the remainder of the series. I give it a rating of Three Paws.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm, people seem to love this series. They say the first one was so so then the rest are awesome. It kind of worries me that you say this one wasn't that amazing. I'm so nervous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if this had been the first book in the series it would have gotten a fantastic rating from me but the fact that it was so different from the first book didn't settle with me. The inconsistencies in the MC and story have me questioning the series.

      Delete