Thursday, October 15, 2015

Pen to Paper: Postage


 
How was your week last week? Did you get that letter sent out after some of the new pen pal tips I gave you? I had so much mail going out last week and this week after vacation. I sent out a bunch of postcards on my travels last week and then I had a bunch of responses, letters and cards to send out this week when I returned. I do love sending mail!
 
Because I send so much mail I try to make sure I always keep stamps on hand (in my purse, my planner, with my stationary and in my general box for hubby to find too). I thought I would give you a little run down on the current cost of postage.
 
Standard Envelopes:
Generally for our purposes we will most likely be using the standard Forever stamps. The current price/ value of those is $.49 and there are quite a variety of stamps out there.  You can also use any of your old Forever stamps for the standard envelopes as well.  Now keep in mind that standard envelopes include envelopes that are rectangular, between 3-1/2 inches high x 5 inches long and 6-1/8 inches high x 11-1/2 inches long, less than 1/4 inch in thickness, and under 1 ounce in weight.
 
Oversized or Unusual Envelopes:
If your envelope is over those size requirements or an odd shape like a square you will need to use a $.71 stamp. If you are within all the size requirements except the weight you can add a $.21 stamp to your standard/ Forever stamp for each ounce you are over (be sure that you have an accurate scale for ounces).
 
Postcards:
If you are sending postcards the postage is a $.35 stamp. Also note that this is for a standard postcard, I came across some die cut and shaped postcards in my travels last week and they require additional postage.
 
International:
If you are sending a letter, card or even postcard internationally, the postage is $1.20 and they have a lovely round stamp for those purposes (it makes it very handy to pick it out from your stamp hoard when needed). Again the same rules apply as with a standard stamp within the US, if it doesn't meet the size requirements then additional postage will be required (I am not certain what those costs maybe because if it is an odd one for international, I just take it to the counter to be certain it will get there).
 
 
Where to get your stamps:
 
There are endless ways to get your stamps, the obvious being the Post Office. You can also order stamps through the USPS website. Most grocery stores and pharmacies also now carry standard Forever stamps (just be sure to ask at the register). There are also many photo websites that allow you to order customized postage stamps too.
 
 
 
Your Mission for the week: Start your own postage stash. One way to loose your pen pal and writing momentum is to not have postage handy. I can't tell you how many times in the past I have failed to mail something because I didn't have a stamp and by the time I picked on up the letter or card was lost. Now would also be a good time to stock up before the busy holiday season, there is nothing worse than waiting in endless lines at the post office just to get some stamps. 

2 comments:

  1. This post is great! I need to make a note to get some 21 cent stamps in case I go over an ounce, but I'm pretty good about keeping it under. I'm putting forth more effort into sending letters again because it makes me feel all giddy when I get an actual letter. Yours are great, I always love getting them. After I got the last one you sent, I asked an online friend if they wanted to start penpaling. She and I talk daily, but she was like YES THAT WOULD BE FUN! Hehehe. So I'm making a point to start writing more and it's mostly because of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am lucky and have a supply at the office, the boss doesn't mind if I occasionally use one for that odd letter that got a little long or and something extra slipped in. I am so glad you found another friend to pen pal with and that I helped you get started! Even though we keep up on the blogs, facebook and email it is still wonderful to get that letter in the mail (even if it something we already talked about)!

      Delete