Saturday, November 16, 2013

Graphic Novel Review of Northlanders Vol. 2 The Cross and The Hammer by Brian Wood

 
Synopsis: "The second NORTHLANDERS collection, featuring issues #11-16, takes place during the tail end of Viking rule in Ireland. A series of mysterious murders and arsons against wealthy citizens leaves the Viking occupiers worried that a potential uprising might ignite. When surprising details involving the crimes are revealed, though, their jobs become much harder! Once again, writer Brian Wood teams with artist Ryan Kelly (Local) for an intriguing, gorgeously rendered peek at the inner workings of society."

My Review: After the first volume of the Northlanders, I found this one slightly disappointing. The story didn't quite seem to fit the time period and while I do expect plenty of violence this one seemed a little much. I found the twist at the end pretty interesting but it wasn't quite enough to save the whole volume for me, there is obviously some of the story missing from Brigid's point of view that would have cleared things up a little. All in all it wasn't as good as the first but I will give the Northlanders another chance and check out Volume 3.
 
My Rating: I wish that I could say this was on the level of Northlanders Vol. 1 but it just couldn't hack it.  That said it was still a middle of the road graphic novel and in a series I plan on continuing.  I give it a rating of Two Paws and a Stump Wag.

No comments:

Post a Comment