Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Audio Review of The Bride's Farewell by Meg Rosoff

 
Synopsis: "On the morning of her wedding, Pell Ridley creeps out of bed in the dark, kisses her sisters goodbye and flees — determined to escape a future that offers nothing but hard work and sorrow. She takes the only thing that truly belongs to her: Jack, a white horse, and small mute Bean who refuses to be left behind.

The road ahead is rich with longing, silence and secrets, and each encounter leads her closer to the untold story of her past. Then Pell meets a hunter, infuriating, mysterious and cold. Will he help her to find what she seeks?

With all the hallmarks of Meg Rosoff’s extraordinary writing, The Bride’s Farewell also breaks new ground for this author, in a nineteenth-century, Hardyesque setting. This is a moving story of love and lost things, with a core of deep, beautiful romance."


My Review: Well this was different. It kind of reminded me of Jane Austen's style but not quite as long (thank goodness). There was a lot of rambling and felt like the story really wasn't going anywhere. I liked the prominence of horses and dogs throughout the book but other than that I really didn't develop much feeling for the characters. I found 'Dog Man' to be the most interesting character. This is also listed as a romance but I didn't really feel any romance or love in the story, more of a commitment. All that said the reader for this book did a great job, her accent really suited the story and kept me listening.
 
My Rating: This was a so so book for me and while I listened to the whole book, I really wasn't all that invested in it.  I give it a rating of Two Paws.

No comments:

Post a Comment