Thursday, October 22, 2020

Review of Desdemona and the Deep by C.S.E. Cooney

 

Read for: Recently Added/ Audio Book

Synopsis: "In Desdemona and the Deep, the spoiled daughter of a rich mining family must retrieve the tithe of men her father promised to the world below. On the surface, her world is rife with industrial pollution that ruins the health of poor factory workers while the idle rich indulge themselves in unheard-of luxury. Below are goblins, mysterious kingdoms, and an entirely different hierarchy."

My Review: I was on the hunt for a good fall read, atmospheric, dark, twisty, etc. and then I stumbled upon this book. The cover instantly drew me in and I bought it without knowing much about it. If you are looking for a bit of a darker fae story, this is a great one to pick up. It was a short read and maybe I would have liked a little more time in the various kingdoms but it was a very satisfying read. It is a bit of a portal story and gave me Wayward Children vibes but it was definitely a darker tone. I was not a huge fan of Desdemona as a character but I think that was a bit intentional because she has a great character arc throughout the story. I loved the variety of characters we get in this story, both human and non-human, fae, goblins, etc. they are all so vivid. The world building is beautifully done, I loved the way the magic worked and the descriptions are so beautiful I can almost picture it in my mind; though I would LOVE a graphic novel of this book! I want to see all the costumes, clothes, settings and characters & creatures, for now I guess I will have to search out any fan art.

My Rating: For going into this not knowing anything, I was very pleasantly surprised.  I really enjoyed where the story took me and the variety of characters. I honestly just want more!  I give it a rating of Four Paws!

No comments:

Post a Comment