Thursday, April 9, 2020

Review of Hurricane Dancers by Margarita Engle for Poetry Month

Since it is Poetry Month, I would like to share either a book of poetry or one written in verse each Thursday.  I would also love to hear some of your recommendations and favorites!

Read for: Recent Addition/ Poetry Month

Synopsis: "Quebrado has been traded from pirate ship to ship in the Caribbean Sea for as long as he can remember. The sailors he toils under call him el quebrado--half islander, half outsider, a broken one. Now the pirate captain Bernardino de Talavera uses Quebrado as a translator to help navigate the worlds and words between his mother's Taíno Indian language and his father's Spanish.

But when a hurricane sinks the ship and most of its crew, it is Quebrado who escapes to safety. He learns how to live on land again, among people who treat him well. And it is he who must decide the fate of his former captors."

My Review: After enjoying Firefly Letters by Engle, I wanted to track down more books in verse by her and came across this one. I really enjoyed this one with the various perspectives we get throughout the story. From the slave boy who has been shuffled around, to the privateer and the pirate ship captain, then to the natives they come across after the wreck. It is easy reading and can be enjoyed by readers of all ages, and the story keeps the pages turning to see what happens next. I love the descriptions of the different ways hurricanes are thought of by the different cultures. I enjoyed this one and it was a perfect book to pick up for Middle Grade March.

My Rating: I really enjoyed this book, it is written for Middle Grade readers but is very enjoyable as an adult.  I like the way the verse style lent to the theme of storms throughout the book. I give it a rating of Three Paws and a Stump Wag.



No comments:

Post a Comment