Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Borrowed Books Review- First Quarter 2020

A couple of months ago I saw a video by Brennalyn_Reads on Youtube where she talked about whether the books from the library were worth purchasing for her.  I thought this was a great idea! I have been trying to borrow from the library more often as I am try to cut back on the books that I purchase.  So I thought I would take a look back at the books I borrowed each quarter to see how many I decided were worth putting on my shelf and how many I am glad I borrowed instead of purchasing and wasting the money on a book I didn't enjoy.

So here are all the books that I borrowed January through the end of March:

This is a fantastic graphic novel and I am very glad the library had a copy for me to borrow, and I am glad I read it.  With that said though I don't think it was one I would add to my shelf, it is a wonderful book but I feel like it was one I would only read once.

Like with They Called Us Enemy, I really enjoyed this graphic novel. I loved the art style and the themes in the story but it wasn't one I would add to my shelf or re-read another time.


I was only able to borrow the audio book of The Ten Thousand Doors of January and I ended up DNFing this one.  The narration was extremely slow paced and the constant jumping around on the timeline was very confusing in audio.  Maybe if I had read it in print I would have enjoyed it more but I am glad I gave this a shot from the library instead of spending the money on it.

The Test was another audio book I borrowed from the library but this one was amazing!! It was such an intense ride that I had to order a copy for myself!

I had already unhauled both Cruel Prince and Wicked King but like so many others, I have an issue needing to finish a series that I started. So luckily my library had a copy available, so I was able to read it. I am glad I did, it was a good conclusion but I am glad I didn't spend money on it (I wish I had figured this out before I bought the first two books last year).

This graphic novel has been on my wish list forever but it is rather pricey, so I am glad I found a copy at the library and could try it before spending nearly $20 on it. This was so beautiful and I absolutely loved everything about it! I did end up tracking down a slightly used copy for less but it was still definitely one that needed to be on my shelves.


I DNFed the previous book by this author, so even with all the rave reviews I was hesitant. My hold from the library finally came through and it was amazing and one I definitely want for my shelves, I am still in the process of tracking down a copy (I would prefer to trade for it as opposed to purchasing outright).



So in the first 3 months of this year, I borrowed 7 books from the library, of those books I have decided to add 3 to my shelves.  This is definitely a great way for me to start to try books and series out before purchasing them, especially with the instability of the economy right now. I just have a issue with waiting several weeks or months for new releases. I already have a hefty stack of books to kick off April, many of which were books I was debating purchasing.  

I really enjoyed seeing this overview put together and I think to open my eyes even more as to whether books are worth putting on my shelf, I might do this with recent purchases as well.  Let me know if this is something you would like to see.

How do you use your library? Do you use it often? Do you end up purchasing any of the books you borrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment