Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Review of The Raven's Tale by Cat Winters

Read for: Recently Added to Shelves


Synopsis: "Seventeen-year-old Edgar Poe counts down the days until he can escape his foster family—the wealthy Allans of Richmond, Virginia. He hungers for his upcoming life as a student at the prestigious new university, almost as much as he longs to marry his beloved Elmira Royster. However, on the brink of his departure, all his plans go awry when a macabre Muse named Lenore appears to him. Muses are frightful creatures that lead Artists down a path of ruin and disgrace, and no respectable person could possibly understand or accept them. But Lenore steps out of the shadows with one request: “Let them see me!”"

My Review: To be entirely honest, I was drawn into this book by the beautiful cover, but it is definitely so much more than that. I was drawn into the world of Edgar Poe and his dark, gothic muse Lenore. I used to be obsessed with Poe's poems in middle school and high school, and this book definitely rekindled that love. Cat Winter's did a beautiful job with this book, weaving fact with fiction and weaving the mundane life with beautiful poetry. While this book may not be for everyone, because it is a bit of a slow moving, character driven, as opposed to plot driven but the time spent letting the muse do her work is totally worth it.

My Rating: I was actually pleasantly surprised with this book, it is beautiful inside and out, but I hadn't heard a lot of great things, many of my fellow readers were not a fan of it but I ended up really enjoying it. I am also really happy it has rekindled my love for Poe's writing and I find myself eager to pick up more poetry this year.  I give it a rating of Three Paws and a Stump Wag!

No comments:

Post a Comment