Saturday, February 29, 2020

Date Night with a Book: The Good Ones by Jenn McKinlay

Read for: TBR Books & Kitten on the cover!!

Synopsis: "Ryder Copeland is an accomplished architect and one heck of a father...not to mention tall and sexy. He's everything a hero should be, and Lord knows, Maisy Kelly has read enough of her great-aunt Eloise's romance novels to recognize one when she sees one. But like all fairy tales, Maisy can't help but wonder if this Prince Charming is too good to be true...


Ryder is drawn to the shy, curly haired professor who hires him to convert the Victorian house she's inherited from her aunt into a romance bookstore. Attracted to a woman for the first time since his divorce, Ryder finds himself wishing for a future with Maisy that he knows is impossible. Ryder has never wavered from his plan to leave the small town of Fairdale, North Carolina, so he can give his daughter the life she deserves. But suddenly he's not so sure. And the closer he gets to Maisy, the harder it's going to be to walk away.."


My Review: Do you know how long I have searched for a romance novel with a hunky man and an adorable kitten on the cover?! I finally found it and I was a bit nervous that it would live up to my hopes, but luckily The Good Ones definitely met my expectations and more! Let me start off by saying Maisy is living every book lover's dream by inheriting a house full of books, but then she really wins the lottery when the amazing Ryder shows up to build it into a bookstore for her! I absolutely adored this book, it had a fun cast of characters (including the spunky side character friends) and a kitten! The banter between Maisy and Ryder is entertaining and then the tension starts building until it is off the charts. Perry was a great addition to the story, she brings the romance back down to earth with the teenage drama and the parenting struggles of trying to give your child the absolute best but them having different ideas. I have to say, this book had a nice balance between romance, life drama, quirky characters, bittersweet and heart warming emotions. I can't wait to continue the series.

My Rating: I am so glad this book held up to my hopes, this was everything I ever could have wanted from it (other than it looks like a cowboy romance but is clearly not).  I loved all the characters, even the side characters, and the fact that the romance wasn't all this book had to give.  I give it a rating of Four Paws!


No comments:

Post a Comment