Thursday, September 5, 2019

Review of The Storm Crow by Kalyn Josephson

Read for: Recently Added

Synopsis: "In the tropical kingdom of Rhodaire, magical, elemental Crows are part of every aspect of life...until the Illucian empire invades, destroying everything.

That terrible night has thrown Princess Anthia into a deep depression. Her sister Caliza is busy running the kingdom after their mother's death, but all Thia can do is think of all she has lost.

But when Caliza is forced to agree to a marriage between Thia and the crown prince of Illucia, Thia is finally spurred into action. And after stumbling upon a hidden Crow egg in the rubble of a rookery, she and her sister devise a dangerous plan to hatch the egg in secret and get back what was taken from them."

My Review: I had received an early ARC of this in one of the book boxes but didn't actually pick it up until I received a finish copy. I was intrigued by the magic system in this one, and who wouldn't like riding a crow?! With that said it was very predictable, I had figured out most of the twists pretty early on which really took the excitement out of the story each time I got to the big reveal only to find out I already knew what it was. I did like the representation of the stages of grief and depression in this book, but it does take up quite a bit of the story, taking a lot of momentum out the story and took a lot of energy to read. I did appreciate that the romance didn't overtake the plot. It was a good book, very intriguing but I am hoping with more books that the writing improves and the future books become a little less predictable.


My Rating: This book did read like a debut book (which it is) and I do hope to see with more books and experience the complexity of the plots increase.  I do love the unique magic system and beautiful world, and it was a pretty easy read and would be great for those just entering the fantasy genre.  I give it a rating of Three Paws.

No comments:

Post a Comment