Saturday, September 7, 2019

Graphic Novel Review of Carmen Sandiego: The Sticky Rice Caper

Read for: Recently Added & Graphic Novel Challenge

Synopsis: "In this exciting graphic novel based on the Netflix series starring Jane the Virgin's Gina Rodriguez, Carmen Sandiego's globe-trotting capers introduce kids to the geography, culture, and history that is baked into every adventure!


Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego? Headed to the island nation of Indonesia for her next caper! But just what is the mysterious lady in red after this time? Adventure awaits in this action-packed graphic novel starring the world's greatest thief."

My Review: I had to pick this one up for Munchkin to try to get him into Carmen Sandiego as much I am. I really appreciate how you don't have to know all the backstory before getting into this book, it has a break down of the characters and history right at the beginning. It is a fun and quick read full of action and adventure. While it isn't quite the same as when I was a kid, it does suit the current times. The artwork style will really appeal to this younger generation who are accustomed to computer graphics. This is a great read for all ages.

My Rating: I like how they have stuck to a lot of the classic Carmen elements but added new and modern elements to the story.  I also really like how they are releasing books in this series in multiple formats, the first book (Who in the World is Carmen Sandiego) was a novel, then Clue by Clue was an interactive novel and now a graphic novel, it will encourage reluctant readers who enjoy the story and characters to pick up other formats.  I give this one a rating of Four Paws!

No comments:

Post a Comment