Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Review of Love That Dog by Sharon Creech

Read for: Borrowed books


Synopsis: ""I guess it does
look like a poem
when you see it
typed up
like that."

Jack hates poetry. Only girls write it and every time he tries to, his brain feels empty. But his teacher, Ms. Stretchberry, won't stop giving her class poetry assignments -- and Jack can't avoid them. But then something amazing happens. The more he writes, the more he learns he does have something to say"

My Review: Munchkin had picked this book out at the library because of the title. I really didn't know what to expect but we ended up really enjoying it. I did have to explain to Munchkin how it was like the journal he writes in at school and that is why it seems like a one sided conversation at times. We did also have fun exploring poetry, this has been Munchkin's first exposure to reading a book of poetry and was a little confused at first but grasped it more as we went on. I appreciated the way the poems that are discussed are also included in the back of the book for us and we had fun picking out our favorites. It is funny how a simple poem can bring out feelings, as I was reading the book to Munchkin, especially at the end I saw him looking at our own dog with tears in his eyes. This was a great introduction to poetry for Munchkin and I hope we can maybe find more books in this series at the library.


My Rating: It took us a bit to get into this book but Munchkin really grew to enjoy it as he discovered, along with Jack, how poems can tell a story.  We give it a rating of Three Paws and a Stump Wag!

No comments:

Post a Comment