Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Series Review of The Wayward Children by Seanan McGuire


I have been trying to figure out a way to share all these books I read with you but still include other non-review posts on the blog.  One method I have come up with was to share the reviews for an entire series (or pair) of books in one post.  I will do my absolute best to keep spoilers out of these posts in case you plan to read the books, but there is a slight chance that even the synopsis of a book can give away the result of the previous book. So if you don't want to know anything at all about the later books in a series that might giveaway something in the first book STOP READING NOW!



I have been holding off reading this series for a while now, I thought I wouldn't find it too interesting but I found the second book on sale and received the first book as a gift and found the third book available at the library, so I figured it was the book gods telling me to read it. And of course they are always right!



Synopsis: "Eleanor West’s Home for Wayward Children
No Solicitations, 
No Visitors, 
No Quests
Children have always disappeared under the right conditions; slipping through the shadows under a bed or at the back of a wardrobe, tumbling down rabbit holes and into old wells, and emerging somewhere... else.
But magical lands have little need for used-up miracle children.
Nancy tumbled once, but now she’s back. The things she’s experienced... they change a person. The children under Miss West’s care understand all too well. And each of them is seeking a way back to their own fantasy world.
But Nancy’s arrival marks a change at the Home. There’s a darkness just around each corner, and when tragedy strikes, it’s up to Nancy and her new-found schoolmates to get to the heart of the matter.
No matter the cost."

My Review: I know I am a little late to this ballgame but it is so worth it to join in! I kept holding off on this series, not entirely sure why because I have loved magical doorway books in the past like Narnia and this takes the story beyond the door to the struggle back home. It was a pretty short book so the introduction to the characters and the setting were a little rushed but I expect that more will be explained as the series continues. I really adored Kade and Nancy, they are the characters I found the most connection with but I also loved Jack. A lot happens to and around these characters in such a short amount of time and all that action kept the story moving and the pages turning. The ending was rather abrupt but I look forward to where the next book takes the story.

My Rating: I was really pleasantly surprised with this book, even though it was short, it was fully developed with some interesting characters, a story that draws you in and enough quirks to make it really unique. I give it a rating of Four Paws.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Synopsis: "Twin sisters Jack and Jill were seventeen when they found their way home and were packed off to Eleanor West’s Home for Wayward Children.
This is the story of what happened first…
Jacqueline was her mother’s perfect daughter—polite and quiet, always dressed as a princess. If her mother was sometimes a little strict, it’s because crafting the perfect daughter takes discipline.
Jillian was her father’s perfect daughter—adventurous, thrill-seeking, and a bit of a tom-boy. He really would have preferred a son, but you work with what you've got.
They were five when they learned that grown-ups can’t be trusted.
They were twelve when they walked down the impossible staircase and discovered that the pretense of love can never be enough to prepare you a life filled with magic in a land filled with mad scientists and death and choices."

My Review: I was expecting this story to move forward on the timeline from the end of the first book, but instead it takes us to Jack & Jill's first visit to their doorway world, the moors. I found the characters of Jack and Jill to be really interesting and the way they developed as the story moved forward. I really enjoyed this full back story on them and a lot of their quirks and personality of the first book became really clear. Jack is without a doubt a special character to love and care for her sister at the end of this book and to have also stayed near her and cared for her throughout the events of the first book of the series. I really hope we get to continue seeing each of my favorite character's doorway worlds. 

My Rating: Though this book wasn't what I was expecting, it really did add a lot to the story and explained a lot, even if it was just about two of the characters.  I give this one a rating of Four Paws.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Synopsis: "Beneath the Sugar Sky returns to Eleanor West's Home for Wayward Children. At this magical boarding school, children who have experienced fantasy adventures are reintroduced to the "real" world. 
Sumi died years before her prophesied daughter Rini could be born. Rini was born anyway, and now she’s trying to bring her mother back from a world without magic."

My Review: I wasn't quite as keen on this book as with the previous two books, maybe because some of my favorite characters didn't play a large role in this story, or maybe because a large portion of the story was set in a nonsense doorway world, which is clearly not a doorway that would have opened for me. I did like the unusual twist McGuire threw at us right at the beginning of the story to set up for this book. It was quite an adventure with some of the same characters and several new characters. We also get a peek into a few of the doorway worlds where the characters came from, and so far I would have been right next to Nancy. It is honestly a little funny how much you learn about yourself while reading these books.

My Rating: This wasn't my favorite of the series so far, but it does fit well with the rest of the books and I really do appreciate the way the series continues, I just am clearly not meant for a nonsense world as a large portion of this story just had me confused or uninterested.  I give this one a rating of Three Paws.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Full Series Review: I realize that this series is not complete, there is another book coming out in January and at least one more planned for this series, but I thought I would give my opinion of the series thus far, especially since I read all three books in less than a week. I really enjoyed this series, it is unique and interesting with some really great (and diverse) characters. The books are short and can be read in a single sitting or two and are completely satisfying.  I am really looking forward to reading more books in this series and more books in general by McGuire.  I give this series a rating of Four Paws on a whole so far.

2 comments:

  1. I have this first book in this series on my kindle. I’ve heard good things. I hope I don’t find the third book tedious or I might not want to continue the series. I didn’t know they were so short. That encourages me to read them sooner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are super short, less than 200 pages I think, only 4 hours on audio books. The third book wasn't awful it was just a little all over the place because that is how the nonsense world is, but I think the next book will be a little more normal (at least for me).

      Delete