Thursday, July 5, 2018

Mid Year Book Freakout Tag

I did this tag last year and really like how it is a great way to check in each year, so of course I had to do it again this year. I believe the original was created by ReadLikeWildfire on Youtube, but feel free to correct me if I am wrong.  Obviously I am updating it to be current to this year. So on with my freak out  . . . 


Best Book You've Read So Far in 2018
As I am sure you saw in my Top 5 Wednesday yesterday, Plague of Giants is without a doubt my top book so far this year and most likely will be at the end of the year as well!




Best Sequel You've Read So Far in 2018
I loved Red Sister but honestly I think I loved Grey Sister even more!




New Release You Haven't Read, But Want To
Oh man, I have so many new books on my shelves! I think the top 2 that have been released so far that I haven't read yet are Queen of Sorrow and Defiant Heir.
 



Most Anticipated Release of the Second Half of the Year
Gosh there are some really great books coming out this year, and a few of them are conclusions to series that I have avidly been following. First is Ruin of Stars out in August, then in September is The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein, and finally in November is The Storyteller. Obviously there are a ton more but these are definitely my most anticipated (luckily I have ARCs for 2 of them)

  


Biggest Disappointment
I have been better about DNFing books that are not going well and the one I had the hardest time coming to terms with was Vengeance Road, I love westerns but this one just wasn't working, especially after reading Under the Painted Sky by Stacey Lee, which was very similar but was written some much more to my liking.



Biggest Surprise
I have had a few surprises this year, some books out of my comfort zone, some new authors and some books I was hesitant to read but ended up loving. But I think the Sin du Jour series by Matt Wallace takes the cake here, I picked it up on a whim after seeing on of the covers and it has been the most bazaar ride.



Favorite New Author (Debut or New to You)
I think this has to be Adrienne Young, author of Sky in the Deep. She wrote a beautiful book, but on top of that she is really kind and generous with her time and tips for writing. If you don't follow her on Instagram you really should (@Adrienneyoungbooks)


Newest Fictional Crush
You know, I don't think I actually have anyone I have been overly swoony for this year. I have been reading a lot of darker fantasies and while I love a lot of the characters, they really aren't anyone I would crush on.

Newest Favorite Character
A few come to mind here, Isabella from the Lady Trent Series by Marie Brennan, Nona from Red Sister & Grey Sister, but I think my favorite has to be Mr. Kindly from Nevernight! A talking shadow cat?! Yes, please!


Book that Made You Cry
I have had 2 in the past couple of weeks alone! Definitely Three Shoeboxes and Cottage by the Sea, but both those authors make me cry every time so no surprise there!
 



Book that Made You Happy
I think this has to be Wishtree, while it wasn't happy the whole time, it was still a book filled with hope.



Favorite Book to Film Adaptation You Saw This Year
Yup, I don't think I have actually even seen a movie this year! Oh wait I did see Rogue One, I doubt this counts but at least it is a movie!

Favorite Review You've Written This Year
I think that has to be my series review of the Lady Trent Series by Marie Brennan, I really hope I convinced a few people to pick that series up!


Most Beautiful Book You Bought (or received) This Year
I was going to say the paperback version of Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman, but for the second year in a row he narrowly misses out! I just yesterday received the Hardcover copy of Grace & Fury, and OMG this book is stunning! You will have to check on my Instagram later this month for pictures because this one just doesn't do it justice, the naked hardcover is stunning, the end pages are stunning, everything is just amazing!



What Books Do You Need to Read by the End of This Year
SOOOO many books!! Besides the new releases and anticipated releases listed above, I really want to get to the Greatcoats series by Sebastian de Castell.
 
 




So are you freaking out yet because half the year is already gone?! If you also post this tag please let me know so I can come check out your answers!








2 comments:

  1. So many books so little time! These all look so good and that Frankenstein book by Kiersten White may have got an audible gasp from me. I didn’t know about it. I need to go look it up now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right?! I am glad I am able to read so many books every year but it still never feels like enough! I will let you know how the Elizabeth Frankenstein book is, I traded my soul and left leg to get an ARC.

      Delete