Tuesday, June 26, 2018

RI Author Month: Southern Spice by Jeanette Winters

Welcome to the RI Author Month


Synopsis: "Derrick Nash knows the pain of loss. But is he seeking justice or revenge? He doesn’t care as long as someone pays the price.

It is Casey Collin’s duty at FEMA to help those in need when a natural disaster strikes. After a tornado hits Honeywell, she finds there are more problems than just storm damage. Will she follow company procedures or her heart?

Can Derrick move forward without the answers he’s been searching for? Can Casey teach him how to trust again? Or will she need to face the fact that not every story has a happy ending?"

My Review: I picked this book up at the RI Author Expo back in December, I always love discovering local authors to support there. I tend to really enjoy small town romances and this sounded like a perfect fit. We do get a nice taste of that small town, western atmosphere but I would have preferred more of it. I really enjoyed Casey's character, she was spunky but not overly so and had some nice room for development throughout the book. Derrick however was not my cup of tea, normally I love the dark brooding types but he was a little too stuck in the dark for me and made too rapid of a turn around. I also found myself a little too in the dark as to what exactly is going on in the background with FEMA reports, but I am hopeful that more of that will be revealed as the series continues. Which I do plan to continue the series because I am very intrigued by several of the side characters and can't wait to read more. 

My Rating: This was okay, there were things I really enjoyed and things I wasn't such a fan of, but I think it is a good first book in the series, I want to keep reading to find out more about the possible corruption. I also think it is a good way to dip your toes into a more thriller style romance.  I give it a rating of Three Paws.


You can find out more about Jeannette Winters and her books on her Goodreads Page or Website.


And as of right now you can obtain your own copy of Southern Spice in ebook format from Amazon or Barnes & Noble for FREE! Give it a try and you may find that you really enjoy it!

2 comments:

  1. I don’t like when the guys are too broody and dark either. Sounds like the sequels should be companion novels that focus on the side characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a fine line between attractive broody and childish broody. I wouldn't mind reading more about Casey's brother, so hopefully that is the direction the series takes.

      Delete