Saturday, March 4, 2017

Graphic Novel Review of The Wicked + The Divine Vol. 1: The Faust Act by Kieron Gillen, Jamie McKelvie

Read for: Graphic Novel Challenge
 
Synopsis: "Every ninety years, twelve gods incarnate as humans. They are loved. They are hated. In two years, they are dead. The team behind critical tongue-attractors like Young Avengers and PHONOGRAM reunite to create a world where gods are the ultimate pop stars and pop stars are the ultimate gods. But remember: just because you’re immortal, doesn’t mean you’re going to live forever. Collects THE WICKED + THE DIVINE #1-5"

My Review: I have seen a few of my fellow book lovers whom I share preferences with rave about this GN series so I thought I would give it a try. I am not really sure if I like it yet or not. It was a little confusing and you really need to at least have a basic knowledge of several different mythological gods and goddess (ie. Greek, Roman, Norse and Egyptian). With that said I really did like the various characters and the artwork is fantastic. I am still a little lost on the plot lines and where the story may be going but it is definitely worth checking out Vol. 2 and maybe further.
 
My Rating: I must say I am a little confused as to what this is all about and like I said you need to be pretty aware of many different mythologies. I like to think I am fairly versed in many of them but there were several gods and goddesses in this that I wasn't familiar with.  That said I found it to be pretty unique and interesting enough to continue.  I give it a rating of Two Paws and a Stump Wag.

4 comments:

  1. Is this based on a book? This story sounds popular but I swear I saw it in book form.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not really sure, I just saw some other book lovers raving about the series so thought I would give it a shot.

      Delete
  2. I haven't seen this yet!! I love mythology and mythology based books! I will need to pick this up. I was also thrilled to see Kieron Gillan's name!! He wrote the Darth Vader comics for Marvel! Sorry this was confusing for you. I hope you like the next book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to hear how you like it, there are so many different myths involved, and I wasn't expecting that. I hope that I will enjoy the next one but we will see. I haven't picked up the Darth Vader ones yet, I have been accumulating the Princess Leia ones though.

      Delete