Saturday, January 21, 2017

Graphic Novel Review of The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle Adapted by Peter B. Gillis

Read for: Graphic Novel Challenge
 
Synopsis: "Adapted for the first time from the novel by Peter S. Beagle, The Last Unicorn is a tale for any age about the wonders of magic, the power of love, and the tragedy of loss. The unicorn, alone in her enchanted wood, discovers that she may be the last of her kind. Reluctant at first, she sets out on a journey to find her fellow unicorns, even if it means facing the terrifying anger of the Red Bull and malignant evil of the king who wields his power. Adapted by Peter B. Gillis and illustrated by Renae De Liz and Ray Dillon."

My Review: I have never read the original book, the movie was a favorite as a kid, but I decided to go with the graphic novel edition to have the beautiful artwork to go with it. I really enjoyed it and the artwork is absolutely stunning. I do have to say that I feel like maybe there was some symbolism that may have gotten lost in this version, but again I am not sure since I never read the orginal by Beagle, but I just feel like there is more to the story.
 
My Rating: Reading this graphic novel definitely took me back and made me nostalgic. I must say that while I enjoyed this version, I think I need to either read the original work or stick to the movie.  I give this one a rating of Three Paws and a Stump Wag.

4 comments:

  1. I've only ever seen the movie too. Was the graphic novel art like the movie art?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup the art is just like the movie, if it isn't the exact same even. I haven't seen the movie in a long time so I can't say for certain.

      Delete
  2. The movie is such a classic! My brothers loved it, and they introduced me to it as a kid. I want to read the book eventually. Is the artwork in the graphic novel from the movie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great classic, I loved it so much as a kid (though I think Unico was my favorite). I think I want to try to read the book at some point too. I think the art might be the same as the movie.

      Delete