Friday, November 18, 2016

Bedtime Story: Being Thankful by Mercer Mayer

Read for: Children's Book Challenge & to battle the Holiday I Wants
 
Synopsis: "In Being Thankful, Little Critter isn't gettinganything he wants. Gator gets cool brand-new sneakers, while Little Critter is stuck with his boring blue ones. Tiger’s dad has a boat—but not Little Critter’s dad. And even at the ice cream shop, Little Critter can’t enjoy his chocolate ice cream cone because he would rather have a huge ice cream sundae instead. But on a trip to the farm, Grandma shows Little Critter why thankfulness is so important and helps make any situation seem so much happier.
Based on Psalm 107:1, this book will show children what gratitude is and why we should be thankful for all of the blessings God has given us."


My Review: This is the perfect book for this time of the year when all the children's TV channels are filled with commercials for new toys and the "I wants" start in earnest. I read this book with Munchkin and while it wasn't our favorite Little Critter book it certainly did spark some important conversations about being thankful and happy with what we have. It is a long one and the message may go over young readers heads, so it is a good idea to read this with them and talk about it. While I still hear "I want" I am getting a lot more "thank you".
My Rating: While it wasn't our favorite Little Critter book, it really has helped out with the greediness this holiday season presents.  We give it a rating of Three Paws.
 
 
Good Night! Sweet Dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment