Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Review of Angels Watching Over Me by Lurlene McDaniel & Discussion of her books

 
 
Synopsis: "Happy Holidays! Bah humbug. "Happy" is not the way Leah Lewis-Hall would describe herself at the moment. She's spending her twelve days of Christmas in an Indianapolis hospital, while her mother is thousands of miles away on a honeymoon with husband number five. Leah went to the doctor with nothing more than a broken finger, but he ordered her to undergo some tests. Now she's stuck in the hospital, alone. Then Leah meets her hospital roommate, a young Amish girl named Rebekah, and her big family. Cynical sixteen-year-old Leah has never known people like this before. From Rebekah's handsome brother, Ethan, who can barely look Leah in the eye, to her kind older sister, Charity, the Amish family captivates Leah with its simple, loving ways. When Leah receives frightening information about her condition, her new friends show her that miracles can happen. And that sometimes angels appear in the most unexpected places."


My Review: It has been so many years since I originally read this book but it still has quite the impact years later. While it is clearly written for Middle-grade to YA audience it still has a certain appeal to adults. It is refreshing to read a clean book with touches of realism, romance, emotions and even religion without going overboard on any one. Not one sub-plot got carried away but only added to the main storyline. I enjoyed the changes in the characters and their own personalities. This is definitely a book to be kept on the shelf.
 
My Rating: I enjoyed revisiting this book and author and I hope to introduce these books at least to my niece when she is a little older.  I give it a rating of Four Paws.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Memories of
Lurlene McDaniel . . .
 
Boy, Lurlene McDaniel played such a huge role in my Junior High/ Young Teen years.  Her books gave me an outlet for all those rolling emotions I didn't dare let manifest on their own.  I remember grabbing every book of hers at the library and devouring them, becoming attached to some of the regular characters.  Granted I did go through a phase where ever bruise, headache or random sickness must be something bigger like cancer but it lead to good things too, like an avid interest in the medical field and sciences as well as authors in other genres that specialized in medical based stories (my favorites from high school were the medical suspense/thriller books by Robin Cook).
 


No comments:

Post a Comment