Thursday, August 28, 2014

After Dark Review of Hard to Hold On To by Laura Kaye

I have added After Dark Reviews to my blog as a way of notifying you of a review of a book with Adult themes and scenes. From now on I will keep my reviews of all books I read that have explicit scenes in them for late night posts for those of you who prefer to avoid them or easy to find for those of you who seek them out ;)
 
 
 
Synopsis: "Edward "Easy" Cantrell knows better than most the pain of not being able to save those he loves--which is why he is not going to let Jenna Dean out of his sight. He may have just met her, but Jenna's the first person to make him feel alive since that devastating day in the desert more than a year ago.

Jenna has never met anyone like Easy. She can't describe how he makes her feel--and not just because he saved her life. No, the stirrings inside her reach far beyond gratitude.

As the pair are thrust together while chaos reigns around them, they both know one thing: the things in life most worth having are the hardest to hold on to."


My Review: I had to take a few days after finishing this one to write a review because I was rather emotional at the conclusion. I really loved the complicated emotions between Easy and Jenna, it was almost like she had a hero complex but it developed into genuine reciprocated emotions. The full depth of the story is slow to reveal, even for a shorter novella, which was great, you were able to get to know the characters and storyline and become fully invested in the outcome as more things were revealed. The underlying story of Easy's character really made an impact and the author's note at the end sent my emotions over the edge, I had thought I knew a little of our veteran's suffering and have tried to support and donate to their causes but I had no idea of the full struggle and impact. I was brought to tears and really appreciated Kaye for bringing this issue to light in a main stream book, not only that but to donate all sales for the first two weeks is a true commitment to our soldiers.
 
 
My Rating: the steam in this one was a little tamer than the rest of the series but you don't miss it one bit because there are bigger things going on in this novella.  This is definitely a Four Paw and Stump Wag book!

No comments:

Post a Comment