Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Review of The Summer I Became a Nerd by Leah Rea Miller

 
Synopsis: "On the outside, seventeen-year-old Madelyne Summers looks like your typical blond cheerleader—perky, popular, and dating the star quarterback. But inside, Maddie spends more time agonizing over what will happen in the next issue of her favorite comic book than planning pep rallies with her squad. That she’s a nerd hiding in a popular girl's body isn’t just unknown, it's anti-known. And she needs to keep it that way.

Summer is the only time Maddie lets her real self out to play, but when she slips up and the adorkable guy behind the local comic shop’s counter uncovers her secret, she’s busted. Before she can shake a pom-pom, Maddie’s whisked into Logan’s world of comic conventions, live-action role-playing, and first-person-shooter video games. And she loves it. But the more she denies who she really is, the deeper her lies become…and the more she risks losing Logan forever."


My Review: This was such a cute fun read! I am going to steal Leah Rea Miller's word and say that it was Adorkable! It was a fun way to get a message through to young adult readers. Its tough being a teen who is slightly different (especially a girl because teenage girls in high school are brutal). I really liked Maddie even though she made a muck of things because she was afraid of being teased again. I feel like Logan was a little too perfect, good looking, smart, appropriate amount of geek, completely giving and helpful, and who gives a high school junior going on senior the prime slot on a college radio station? That said I love Dan! Such an awesome loyal friend! I have to say I wish I had some of these awesome friends and I totally want to LARP but the friends I do have who would do it with me are scattered all over the world :( The resolution to the story is brilliant! I loved it and couldn't put this story down.
 
My Rating: I so enjoyed this book! It was a perfect summer read and one I just couldn't stop reading. I fell in love with the characters and the story. I give it a rating of Four Paws and a Stump Wag!

2 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to read this! And now even more so since you gave it such a high rating. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha you remember how you suggested Geek Girl and I waited a really long time to read it and regretted that? Yea this is probably the same deal :P

      Delete