Thursday, December 20, 2012

After Dark/Advent Stories Day 20: Spending Holidays with People I want to Punch in the Throat

Welcome to the Advent Story event I am having here on Eastern Sunset Reads this Christmas season.
Every family has their own personal Holiday traditions, and many of them include those advent calendars that have the little chocolates or toys behind each door as you count to Christmas Day. Well in my family we had a Advent Candle instead. Each night we would light the candle and as it burned that day away we would read a special Christmas story or poem. So I decided to bring that tradition to all of you.
Most of the books will be Children's books as I share this tradition with Munchkin for the first time, but I will also have some After Dark specials and maybe a few fiction, romance and young adult books too as time allows. I will also feature a favorite Christmas song each day. So please join me and share some of your favorite traditions, songs and stories this holiday season!




Synopsis: "From the popular, hysterical and award-winning blogger Jen of People I Want to Punch in the Throat.com comes the next destined-to-be holiday classic! You'll want to make room on your bookshelf next to A Christmas Carol and Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer for Spending the Holidays with People I Want to Punch in the Throat.

So, grab a cup of hot cocoa, sit back and enjoy Jen's latest collection of humorous rants dissecting the “most wonderful time” of the year. She unleashes her biting wit and hilarious opinions on everything from cookie exchanges to annual humble brag Christmas letters from over achieving moms to horrifying
Christmas' of her childhood.

In this book you'll find such topics as:

The White Trash Dollhouse

Like a Neon Virgin in Guess Jeans and Swatch Watches

A Very Special Christmas: Hoarders Style

and, of course, the viral sensation: Over Achieving Elf on the Shelf Mommies

Reading "Spending the Holidays with People I Want to Punch in the Throat" will fill you with nostalgia-- in the same way you are filled with nostalgia when you see pictures of yourself wearing a Thriller t-shirt, red-suspenders and sporting a mullet in your 6th grade yearbook. Cringe-worthy because you remember the moment so well, hilarious because you are so glad someone else had the same experience! Robin O'Bryant, author of Ketchup is a Vegetable & Other Lies Moms Tell Themselves"


My Review: You definitely need to have a certain sense of humor to read this one and enjoy it. It had me personally cracking up. It is written in short essay like chapters, so again very easy for me to fit one or two into breaks from the Munchkin. Jen has a way of poking fun at herself and others that doesn't seem too offensive and just makes you laugh even if you are guilty of going over the top during the holiday season. She also makes some very good points for how Christmas has become another day to one up everyone around you and go bigger every year instead of just being happy with what you have and spending it with ones you love. It really made me laugh and step away from the stress I have been creating for myself this year.
 
My Rating: So I put this as an After Dark review because of the explicit language and very out spoken points of view that not everyone will enjoy.  I did love it (in fact I purchased it for a good friend of mine who I think will also enjoy it).  I give it a rating of Three Paws.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment