Wednesday, December 22, 2021

Advent Reads Day 22: Christmas Days: 12 Stories and 12 Feasts for 12 Days by Jeanette Winterson

 Welcome to Advent Reads!

This is an event I have had on my blog for several years running now.  Each evening I feature a different holiday themed book. Think of it as your Book Advent Calendar! I post a variety of holiday books including romance, children's, middle-grade, mystery, paranormal, and I try to find some that are other holiday celebrations than Christmas too. I hope you will stop by each evening to see what new book I have for you!


Synopsis: "For years Jeanette Winterson has loved writing a new story at Christmastime, and here she brings together 12 of her brilliantly imaginative, funny, and bold tales. For the Twelve Days of Christmas - a time of celebration, sharing, and giving - she offers these 12 plus one: a personal story of her own Christmas memories.

These tales open a portal into the spirit of the season, when time slows down and magic starts to happen. From trees with mysterious powers to a tinsel baby that talks, philosophical fairies to flying dogs, a haunted house to a disappearing train, Winterson's innovative stories encompass the childlike and spooky wonder of Christmas, perfect for listening to by the fire with loved ones or while traveling home for the holidays.

Enjoy the season of peace and goodwill, mystery, and a little bit of magic courtesy of one of our most fearless and accomplished writers."

My Review: I was kind of looking for some short stories to read in between all the holiday chaos when I came across this book. It did have several short stories and in a really wide variety of styles that were really easy to listen to between projects. There were also several recipes included but I haven't looked at the download to try them yet, some did sound really tasty. The stories were each pretty unique, some were a bit scary with some ghosts and hauntings, others were super warm hearted. I think my favorite story was Snowmamma. Between each story is a break where the author shares some personal holiday stories, along with the recipes; that was a nice touch especially for the audio book where sometimes the stories flow together so much you can't tell one from another.

My Rating: While I really like the way this one read on audio book, I do kind of wish I had a print version so it would be easier to pull out the recipes to try. This was a great book for when you have very little time but want a holiday story. I give it a rating of Three Paws and a Stump Wag.



2 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to try a recipe from a book, but I have yet to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have tried a couple here and there, some have worked great and others not so much. I want to try doing it more though, I need to shake up our dinner routines a bit anyway.

      Delete