Monday, December 20, 2021

Advent Reads Day 20: Twelve Slays of Christmas by Jacqueline Frost

 Welcome to Advent Reads!

This is an event I have had on my blog for several years running now.  Each evening I feature a different holiday themed book. Think of it as your Book Advent Calendar! I post a variety of holiday books including romance, children's, middle-grade, mystery, paranormal, and I try to find some that are other holiday celebrations than Christmas too. I hope you will stop by each evening to see what new book I have for you!


Synopsis: "When Holly White's fiance cancels their Christmas Eve wedding with less than two weeks to go, Holly heads home with a broken heart. Lucky for her, home in historic Mistletoe, Maine is magical during Christmastime--exactly what the doctor prescribed. Except her plan to drown her troubles in peppermints and snickerdoodles is upended when local grouch and president of the Mistletoe Historical Society Margaret Fenwick is bludgeoned and left in the sleigh display at Reindeer Games, Holly's family tree farm.

When the murder weapon is revealed as one of the wooden stakes used to identify trees on the farm, Sheriff Evan Grey turns to Holly's father, Bud, and the Reindeer Games staff. And it doesn't help that Bud and the reindeer keeper were each seen arguing with Margaret just before her death. But Holly knows her father, and is determined to exonerate him.The jingle bells are ringing, the clock is ticking, and if Holly doesn't watch out, she'll end up on Santa's naughty list in Twelve Slays of Christmas, Jacqueline Frost's jolly series debut."

My Review: I have been wanting to read this book for a while but have been holding out for the holiday season. I have definitely found a new favorite cozy mystery series and I can't wait to read more! I loved the setting of a small town Christmas tree farm with a bunch of super fun holiday events (I kind of want to take part in the Reindeer Games). Add in a bit of death and suspicious threats and you have a heart pounding holiday read. It was definitely a fun change from some of the overly sweet holiday romances I have been reading, don't get me wrong there is definitely a dash of heated and a bit of attraction in this one as well but it only adds to the story and doesn't take it over. I really enjoyed Holly, she seems to have passed the stage of wanting to make her own way in the world and is now seeking the comfort and love of family. I loved that nostalgia element to this story, it added to the cozy holiday feel to it.

My Rating: I really enjoyed this book, it was a fun break from a lot of the overly sweet holiday books and I loved the characters and setting. I give this one a rating of Four Paws and a Stump Wag and I will definitely be keeping up with this series.





2 comments:

  1. Not gonna lie, the title and cover of this one made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have found myself obsessed with the corny cozy mystery titles. I used to roll my eyes but now the cornier, the more I want to read them!

      Delete