Thursday, October 8, 2020

Review of Blood Countess by Lana Popović

 

Read for: Borrowed Books/ Audio Book/ Anticipated Release

Synopsis: "A historical YA horror novel based on the infamous real-life inspiration for Countess Dracula

In 16th century Hungary, Anna Darvulia has just begun working as a scullery maid for the young and glamorous Countess Elizabeth Báthory. When Elizabeth takes a liking to Anna, she’s vaulted to the dream role of chambermaid, a far cry from the filthy servants’ quarters below. She receives wages generous enough to provide for her family, and the Countess begins to groom Anna as her friend and confidante. It’s not long before Anna falls completely under the Countess’s spell—and the Countess takes full advantage. Isolated from her former friends, family, and fiancé, Anna realizes she’s not a friend but a prisoner of the increasingly cruel Elizabeth. Then come the murders, and Anna knows it’s only a matter of time before the Blood Countess turns on her, too."

My Review: This book instantly caught my attention when it came out earlier this year, but it was definitely a book that needed to be read in October. I listened to the audio book from the library and did enjoy the narration. It has been years since I last read Dracula but I was expecting something a little more closely related but this isn't really a retelling, more of inspired by Dracula. With that said, I really enjoyed the path this book took, it started off fine enough but you get this little warning bell going off in the background. Things progressively darker and more twisted. For how gruesome and dark this book got, I was a little disappointed in the conclusion, it felt like the final punch was pulled. I am curious as to what the series will hold though and will probably pick up the next book from the library once it comes out.

My Rating: This was definitely the dark and twisted book I was looking for in October.  I did feel a little cheated with the conclusion but since I believe it is based on a real person, maybe it was done for historical reasons.  I am not 100% sure on that but it didn't quite go all the way  for me.  I still really enjoyed it and give it a rating of Four Paws!

No comments:

Post a Comment