Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Children's Book Week: The Lifters by Dave Eggers

Children's Book Week


Read for: Middle Grade March

Synopsis: "Journey to an underground world where adventure awaits and heroes are made in this middle grade novel from the bestselling, Pulitzer-nominated author of The Monk of Mokha and Her Right Foot.

When Gran and his family move to Carousel, he has no idea that the town is built atop a secret. Little does he suspect, as he walks his sister to school or casually eats a banana, that mysterious forces lurk mere inches beneath his feet, tearing up the earth like mini-hurricanes and causing the town to slowly but surely sink.

When Gran's friend, the difficult-to-impress Catalina Catalan, presses a silver handle into a hillside and opens a doorway to underground, he knows that she is extraordinary and brave, and that he will have no choice but to follow wherever she leads. With luck on their side, and some discarded hockey sticks for good measure, Gran and Catalina might just find a way to lift their town--and the known world--out of danger.

In The Lifters, critically acclaimed author Dave Eggers establishes himself as a storyteller who can entertain and inspire readers of any age."


My Review: Munchkin has had this book sitting on his shelf for a while, so I thought I would give it a try for Middle Grade March. The characters were rather unique, I loved the Duke, he reminded me of a janitor at my school when I was a kid. It did take a bit for the story to come together and pick up pace. Once it got going though, the pages flew by. I really love the concept of this story, of sorrow and sadness dragging us down but others supporting us and joy holding it all together. While this book may not appeal to all young readers, it was still a rather enjoyable read as an adult.

My Rating: It took quite a while to get into this book and it may be a struggle for reluctant readers, but avid readers will enjoy it.  I also think this would be a great book to discuss as a class in school.  I give it a rating of Three Paws.

No comments:

Post a Comment