Saturday, March 21, 2020

Graphic Novel Review of The Arrival by Shaun Tan

Read for: Graphic Novel/ Borrowed Books

Synopsis: "In a heartbreaking parting, a man gives his wife and daughter a last kiss and boards a steamship to cross the ocean. He's embarking on the most painful yet important journey of his life- he's leaving home to build a better future for his family.

Shaun Tan evokes universal aspects of an immigrant's experience through a singular work of the imagination. He does so using brilliantly clear and mesmerizing images. Because the main character can't communicate in words, the book forgoes them too. But while the reader experiences the main character's isolation, he also shares his ultimate joy."

My Review: This book has been on my wishlist for quite a while, so when I saw it available in the library I grabbed it. This is a completely wordless graphic novel, but the sentiment of the story is conveyed beautifully through the illustrations. The fact that it is wordless also works with the story as our character tries to learn the language and ways of a new country. I love the way we are taken on a journey to meet new characters from all kinds of new and different places. It is a wonderful example of working together to make a great society. I loved this book and will definitely be tracking down my own copy.

My Rating: This might have been one of the most beautiful graphic novels I have ever read, both in the story and the illustrations! I cannot fully express how wonderful this one is and I can't wait to get my own copy.  So of course, I give it a rating of Four Paws and a Stump Wag!

No comments:

Post a Comment