Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Top 5 Wednesday: Series I Won't be Finishing

Top 5 Wednesday is a group on Goodreads hosted by Sam from Thoughts on Tomes on Youtube.

Sam is still on hiatus so I get to come up with my own topic again, this one was sparked by last week's topic of the Top 5 Series I want to Finish this Year and I thought I would review the recent series that I have started but will not be continuing. 


I barely made it through this first book, I could not stand half the main characters, the chosen one trope (even though it is kind of flipped a little) and the lack of a whole lot of action left me with major eh feelings.  Even though I had already purchased the second book because everyone raved about it, I will be passing on this series.


 
I made it through the first two books of the Cruel Prince series earlier this year after hearing everyone rave about it, and I just don't get it.  Is this the first time everyone has read about actual cruel fae? For me there are so many better Fae stories out there.  I thought I might continue with the series to find out what happens to Jude but after thinking about it, I just can't bring myself to care enough to pick it up.


Again there was so much hype around this book and while I did enjoy some of the characters, the over abundance of name dropping and descriptions of wealth that I just can't picture or even follow left me a little blah.  I am sure this is something I would enjoy more on screen. So I will not be reading anymore in this series but I will be watching at least the first movie.


I was super intrigued by this story, especially being inspired by Joan of Arc and I really enjoyed the first half of it even though it was a bit slow moving but it really got confusing towards the end and a lot of the magic and dynamics weren't clearly developed or explained. I think I will pass on the next one, I could be convinced but only if I hear really rave reviews from people I trust.


I feel a little sad about this one because Applegate has become one of my autobuy authors, but I really struggled with this book. I think Middle Grade fantasy just isn't my thing.  I think it is a great series for the appropriate audience but it just didn't work for me, so sadly I will not be picking up the next book in this series.




So what are some of the series that you have decided not to push through? Is it hard for you to call it quits with a series?  I really struggle with allowing myself to not complete the series, I have a harder time with this than I do with DNFing individual books but I need to start letting them go if I am not enjoying them.



2 comments:

  1. Uh oh! Cruel Prince has been on my TBR for a while. I'm worried now. I really liked Crazy Rich Asians, but I'm not finishing the series either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Cruel Prince is just a me thing, so many others have really loved it. Definitely give it a shot and see if you like it. I still really want to watch the movie Crazy Rich Asians, I really think it will convey better for me.

      Delete