Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Top 5 Wednesday: Favorite Covers - Banned Books Edition

Top 5 Wednesday is a group on Goodreads hosted by Sam from Thoughts on Tomes on Youtube.

This weeks topic for Top 5 Wednesday is our favorite covers, and I know it was meant to feature new release covers, but being banned books week I thought I would share some of my favorite covers of banned books.  Here is just one more reason to pick up a banned book and read it, check out some of these covers . . .


This is a bind up of the three of the books from the His Dark Materials Series and this cover really makes me want to read it!
This series has faced a lot of opposition since the original release of The Golden Compass in 1995, appearing on several banned and challenged book lists, even appearing at 8 in the banned book list for the '00 decade. The main reason for challenge seems to be the way religion is depicted in this Fantasy series.


I never really had The Picture of Dorian Gray on my TBR list until I saw this gorgeous purple cover, it has now been added to my shelves and is waiting to be read.
The original text was banned for many years both in the US and England due to the explicit scenes and sexual orientation.  


The Kite Runner is another one that I have not read yet but this cover is definitely the most beautiful one I have seen for this book!
The Kite Runner has appeared on several top ten banned book lists, the most common reasons for the challenges and bans include violence, explicit scenes and religious views.


So often you see Leaves of Grass with a picture of Walt Whitman as an old guy on the cover and it really isn't all that appealing, however this cover might convince me to read it,
Leaves of Grass was banned from being sold in Boston in the 1880s for the sexual representation and explicit language. 





  
 
I seriously couldn't pick just one cover for Call of the Wild, there are just too many beautiful editions of this book! I think I need to get a physical copy to put on my shelves and re-read.
Call of the Wild was banned in both Italy and Yugoslavia and even burned by Nazi parties, it appears the reasons were for view points, and it is often challenged due to the violence.



So many beautiful covers on these banned books, what are some of your favorite editions of banned books?


2 comments:

  1. It’s always interesting to me to see peoples favorite covers. We’re all so different. I like that Leaves of Grass cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is only in recent years that I really started paying attention to covers, but I would be lying if it hasn't always influenced my picking up a book.

      Delete