Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Banned Book Week: George by Alex Gino

George has appeared on the Top 10 Banned Book List every year since being published in 2015. The reasons for the challenges and bans include language and the main character being transgender. In Wichita, Kansas it was decided to not include it in the district's libraries and the author, Alex Gino, and others raised the funds to put copies of George in the libraries. You can find out more about the history of challenges and bans to George on BannedBooksWeek.org.

Read for: Banned Book Week & Recent purchase

Synopsis: "When people look at George, they think they see a boy. But she knows she's not a boy. She knows she's a girl. 

George thinks she'll have to keep this a secret forever. Then her (4th grade) teacher announces their class play is going to be "Charlotte's Web." George really, really, REALLY wants to play Charlotte. But the teacher says she can't even try out for the part ...because she's a boy.

With the help of her best friend, Kelly, George comes up with a plan. Not just so she can be Charlotte - but so everyone can know who she is, once and for all."

My Review: I have been eyeing this book for a couple of years now and was finally able to get my hands on a copy. It was a really eye opening book for me. We really get a sense of George's struggle and anxiety over whether to tell family, friends and teachers that she is a girl. We also get a little more of an honest reaction from her mom than I have seen in other books, first denial before the eventual acceptance but there was always love. I read this for banned book week and am disappointed to hear how it had been challenged many times and even organizations pressuring the publisher Scholastic to stop printing it. This is a book that many young readers may need in their lives, those hiding who they are out of fear need to have books that they can relate to and find encouragement from. I am actually donating my copy to an office that assists kids and pre-teens in situations where they are struggling to be who they are or find acceptance.

My Rating: This was such a sweet book, you can't help but love George and her amazing friends and family.  I give it a rating of Four Paws and a Stump Wag.


I honestly can't even begin to comprehend why this book would be banned other than personal opinions.  I didn't come across any language that a middle grade reader wouldn't hear on a normal basis on TV or anywhere in public. I also found it to be a very inspiring story, and it really will open eyes.  I think it will help not only transgender children struggling with their own identity but also help other children and adults to be more open, understanding and supportive.

2 comments:

  1. I hadn’t heard of this one. I’m always shocked at the books people try to ban.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so cute and sweet, I really enjoyed and can see how it could really help young readers who are struggling with their identity and coming out. As well as give people on the outside a look at that struggle, and hopefully give them a little empathy.

      Delete