Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Review of Brave Enough by Kati Gardner

Read for: Requested Review/ Netgalley

Synopsis: "Teenager Cason Martin is the youngest ballerina in the Atlanta Ballet Conservatory. She never really had a choice of whether she learned to dance or not. Her mother, the conservatory's artistic director, has made all the decisions in Cason's life. But that's about to change. Cason has been hiding an injury, and it's much worse than anyone imagines.

Davis Channing understands all too well what it's like to give up control of your life. He's survived cancer, but his drug addiction nearly killed him. Now he's been sober for seven months and enjoying his community service at the hospital. But just when he thinks he's got it together, Davis's ex-girlfriend, who is still battling her addiction, barrels back into his life.

Cason and Davis are not friends. But, as their worlds collide, they will start to depend on one another. Can they both be brave enough to beat the odds?"

My Review:  I was immediately attracted to this book because of the cover and the mention of ballet. I have always loved books where the character is involved with dance in some way, though I don't often read YA contemporary anymore, I really wanted to give this one a shot. I found it to be very reminiscent of the Lurlene McDaniels books I consumed as a teenager. The one major difference was that Cason's perspective was much more true to life with major emotions. I really liked reading her story and the way she developed as a character and influenced those around her. On the other hand I was not a fan of Davis, I clearly did not read the full synopsis because I am not a fan of drug abuse being a part of the books I read, even recovery and sober. Though again his struggle was very real and it was clear that one never fully recovers from an addiction, it is a constant battle. I am glad that the bit of romance did not completely take over the story line but it did add that bit of connection and support that was needed for the characters to move forward.

My Rating: Being that this is a bit out of my wheel house, I still enjoyed the story and the character development.  I give it a rating of Three Paws.


I received a copy of this book via Netgalley with no obligation. The above is my honest review.

You can find out more about Kati Gardner and her connection with her story on her Goodreads Page .

Brave Enough was just released on August 21st and is now available in digital or print formats from Amazon and Barnes & Noble or check your local bookstore.


1 comment:

  1. I really do love that cover. Second review I’ve seen for this one that was positive.

    ReplyDelete