Thursday, August 30, 2018

Arrg-ust Review of Seafire by Natalie C. Parker

Read for: Requested Review/ Penguin First to Read

Synopsis: "After her family is killed by corrupt warlord Aric Athair and his bloodthirsty army of Bullets, Caledonia Styx is left to chart her own course on the dangerous and deadly seas. She captains her ship, the Mors Navis, with a crew of girls and women just like her, whose lives have been turned upside down by Aric and his men. The crew has one misson: stay alive, and take down Aric's armed and armored fleet.

But when Caledonia's best friend and second-in-command just barely survives an attack thanks to help from a Bullet looking to defect, Caledonia finds herself questioning whether or not to let him join their crew. Is this boy the key to taking down Aric Athair once and for all...or will he threaten everything the women of the Mors Navis have worked for?"

My Review:  I have really been on a big pirate kick lately but have really been disappointed in the YA fantasy selection featuring pirates. Luckily, that is no longer the case, I really enjoyed this one! I loved the unique characters, the lady power they had, the close knit ties, and of course all the twists that are thrown at you throughout the book. The book is fast paced and the pages just keep turning. The world building is smooth and creates a world so vivid you can see it. I am a little disappointed that yet again there is some kind of drug use involved in a pirate story, this really bothers me but that is entirely a personal opinion. Even with that one element I wasn't a fan of, this book was definitely a solid start to a trilogy and I can't wait for more books to be released! (And be forewarned you will NEED that next book immediately).

My Rating: I really enjoyed this book, it was full of action, great characters and unexpected twists. The ending definitely leaves you hanging and eager for the next book. I give it a rating of Four Paws.


I received this book from the Penguin First to Read program with no obligation or compensation, the above is my honest review.

You can find out more about Natalie C. Parker and her books on her Goodreads Page and Website.

Seafire was just released on August 28th, you can now obtain your own copy in digital and print formats from Amazon or Barnes & Noble or ask at your local bookstore.

2 comments:

  1. I’ll have to keep an eye out for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! We need more pirate books! I'm excited to try this one!

    ReplyDelete