Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Review of Out of Left Field by Ellen Klages

Read for: Requested Review

Synopsis: "A story about the fight for equal rights in America's favorite arena: the baseball field!

Every boy in the neighborhood knows Katy Gordon is their best pitcher, even though she's a girl. But when she tries out for Little League, it's a whole different story. Girls are not eligible, period. It is a boy's game and always has been. It's not fair, and Katy's going to fight back. Inspired by what she's learning about civil rights in school, she sets out to prove that she's not the only girl who plays baseball. With the help of friendly librarians and some tenacious research skills, Katy discovers the forgotten history of female ball players. Why does no one know about them? Where are they now? And how can one ten-year-old change people's minds about what girls can do?

Set in 1957--the world of Sputnik and Leave It to Beaver, saddle shoes and "Heartbreak Hotel"--Out of Left Field is both a detailed picture of a fascinating historic period and a timelessly inspiring story about standing up for equality at any age"


My Review: Being that baseball season is in full swing and this one features a young girl fighting for a chance to play with the boys in Little League, I knew I needed to read this one. I really ended up loving Katy, and especially her Mom and sisters (even though they never make an appearance), they are such great examples of going after what you want and believe in no matter what society tells you. They really support and push Katy, but they also don't do the work for her, which I was really happy to see. While I didn't feel like the focus on the space race was entirely necessary to the story (though it makes sense when you read up on the author) but it did help to keep the setting in the appropriate time period of the late 50s. With that said, this was a very well researched story, I had seen the movie A League of Their Own many times but I had no idea about all the history of women in baseball. This is definitely a book that young readers will enjoy, just as much as adult readers. Don't forget to continue after the story is finished for some facts about the great women of baseball history, I learned so much about them and am intrigued to continue my own research!

My Rating: I found this book so intriguing, I loved all the research, the characters and the setting, and of course the message about equal rights.  I definitely give this book a rating of Four Paws and a Stump Wag!!


I received this book from the Publisher, the above is my honest opinion.

You can find out more about Ellen Klages and her work on her Goodreads Page or her Website.


Out of Left Field was just released on May 1st so you can go pick up your copy in print or digital format now from Amazon or Barnes & Noble or of course ask your favorite book provider to track down a copy for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment