Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Children's Book Week Review of Wishtree by Katherine Applegate

Welcome to Children's Book Week
Check out Children's Book Week's Website for all the happenings and events in your area, and share a book with a child in your life or donate to children's literacy programs.



Read for: TBR Challenge


Synopsis: "Trees can't tell jokes, but they can certainly tell stories. . . .

Red is an oak tree who is many rings old. Red is the neighborhood "wishtree"—people write their wishes on pieces of cloth and tie them to Red's branches. Along with her crow friend Bongo and other animals who seek refuge in Red's hollows, this "wishtree" watches over the neighborhood.

You might say Red has seen it all. Until a new family moves in. Not everyone is welcoming, and Red's experiences as a wishtree are more important than ever."


My Review: This cover originally attracted my attention before it was released, then I happened to see a signed copy as part of the Barnes & Noble Black Friday sale and picked it up on a whim. I finally got a chance to read it and wow, it is such a beautiful book, inside and out! I love that the story is told from the tree's perspective, it is a unique way of telling a story of hate and prejudice from a completely unbiased inanimate object. The writing style is so beautiful and almost lyrical that you can't help but continue reading. At times you don't know where the story is going as it follows random tangents, but as the narrator is nearly timeless it is to be expected that it would take its time getting around to the point. I also loved all the little random facts dropped throughout the story, it distracts the reader from the lesson that is being conveyed overall but at the same time it also draws the attention to the details of the story. I know it is early in the year but I can already say this will be one of my favorites of the year!

My Rating: This was such a fantastic book, I loved the quirk of the perspective of an inanimate object and the way the story is presented.  I absolutely loved this book and even months later I am still thinking about this one and it is still near the top of the list of books I have read this year! I give it a rating of Four Paws and a Stump Wag!

4 comments:

  1. I found this one at a thrift store. I’m very excited to read it since I’ve heard such good things. I love the cover too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely read it Jenny, it is such a fantastic middle grade!

      Delete
  2. I didn't know Applegate had another book out!! I need to get it! I love her books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read any other books by her but now I am definitely going to add them to my TBR list!

      Delete