Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Review of Grey Sister by Mark Lawrence

Read for: Highly Anticipated/ Penguin First To Read/ Requested Review

Synopsis: "In Mystic Class Nona Grey begins to learn the secrets of the universe. But so often even the deepest truths just make our choices harder. Before she leaves the Convent of Sweet Mercy Nona must choose her path and take the red of a Martial Sister, the grey of a Sister of Discretion, the blue of a Mystic Sister or the simple black of a Bride of the Ancestor and a life of prayer and service.

All that stands between her and these choices are the pride of a thwarted assassin, the ambition of a would-be empress wielding the Inquisition like a blade, and the vengeance of the empire’s richest lord.

As the world narrows around her, and her enemies attack her through the system she has sworn to, Nona must find her own path despite the competing pull of friendship, revenge, ambition, and loyalty.

And in all this only one thing is certain.
.
There will be blood."

My Review: I received this book through the First to Read program from Penguin. This is my honest review. I am so glad I waited to read Red Sister until I was able to pick this one up right after. I found Grey Sister to be an easier read and it lacked some of the lulls that Red Sister had; there was constant development of the story line and characters. As I said with the review of Red Sister, I am not a fan of Chosen One tropes, while this series does have a chosen one trope, it is so twisted on its head, you never know who exactly the chosen one is, that I really enjoy that element of the story. I wasn't too sure about the addition of Keot but I ended up really enjoying the extra character. I also love how at the beginning of the book Lawrence gives a great breakdown of the previous book so even if you didn't read them back to back like I did, you can still get the relevant information to jump right back into the story; which I will be super thankful for when the next book comes out because there is no doubt I will want to jump right in!

My Rating: I really enjoyed this book and didn't want to put it down! Definitely a Four Paws and a Stump Wag book!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like it’s surprising you, so that’s good. I’ll be reading a few fantasies in the next bit. It’s been awhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am loving how things keep twisting just a little outside what I normally see, it is definitely keeping me on my toes and interested in what happens next.

      Delete