Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Review of Addie on the Inside by James Howe

Read for: Mount TBR/ Middle Grade March



Synopsis: "The Gang of Five is back in this much-anticipated follow-up to The Misfits and Totally Joe . Addie Carle, the only girl in the group of friends, is outspoken, opinionated, and sometimes…just a bit obnoxious. But as seventh grade progresses, Addie’s not so sure anymore about who she is. It seems her tough exterior is just a little too tough, and that doesn’t help her deal with the turmoil she feels on the inside as she faces the pains of growing up.
Told in accessible verse, Addie on the Inside gives readers a look at a strong, smart, and sensitive girl struggling with the box that society wants to put her in. Addie confronts experiences many readers will relate to: loss, heartbreak, teasing…but also, friendship, love, and a growing confidence in one’s self."
My Review: I originally picked up the box set of this series so I could read Totally Joe for the Banned Book week last year, and have slowly been reading all 4 books. I kind of wish this one had been out when I was in school, I definitely could have related to Addie a lot. That is the wonderful thing about this book, and the series as a whole, even though I was in middle school in the 90s and this book came out in 2011, and I think kids can still relate to the issues that Addie faces. I also love how it is written in verse, the style varies from page to page but each of the verses has a story to tell, lots of emotion, is easy to read and of course is relatable. This is definitely a book and a series that I would recommend again and again to readers of all ages from pre-teen throughout adulthood.

My Rating: I have found this series to be very surprising and this book especially. I had found Addie a little irritating (even though she is quite a bit like I was) in previous books, but I really relate to her and loved her point of view.  I give it a rating of Four Paws!


2 comments:

  1. These look cute. I’ve never been one for middle grade but lately I’m loving it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have really found a love for Middle Grade over the past few years, there are some really great books and many of them take on tough subjects and points in history and they don't pull the punches like you would expect.

      Delete