Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Top 5 Wednesday: Hidden Gems of Fantasy Romance

Top 5 Wednesday is a group on Goodreads hosted by Sam from Thoughts on Tome on Youtube.



So this week's prompt was to pick 5 books from our favorite genre that we think don't get the attention they deserve.  So I love fantasy book, but more specifically fantasy romance, which is often hard to find since there really isn't a sub-genre easily searchable on most sites.  So I decided to share some with you, I am also trying to pick a few different ones I don't mention often.  I also want to note that these are adult fantasy romance, they do often have explicit scenes and may not be suitable for everyone.  To not overload everyone I am going to share 3 individual series, each with multiple books, I could share 5 series but that just gets a little crazy.



Chronicles of the Warlands
   

So I totally inhaled this series back in 2011 and I raved about it a ton at the time but it did finally fade to the background with some new releases but I loved this series. I was looking for books I would like to re-read this year and discovered that a 5th book in this series was released in 2017! You better believe I will be heading back to the Warlands this year!


Blood and Shadows
   

This was a series that again I binge read back in 2013 and while my ratings did go down a bit with each book, they still come to mind often.  There is a 5th book in the series that at the time I was unable to track down due to publishing issues, but I know Joely Sue Burkhart has gotten rights back on a lot of her books and is getting them out there again so I hope I can revisit this series and complete it at some point.



Five Hundred Kingdoms
 
This is a series I read before starting blogging or even goodreads, I think I only got through the 3rd book, all that was published at the time.  This is a fun series of fairy tale retellings with an adult twist and a fun way to link them all.  I do plan to re-read this series at some point, there are now I believe 6 books in the series, but I had lent out my copies and they were never returned.  Time to go book shopping I guess!




So what are some of your hidden gems? Do you have any to add to my TBR list?!

2 comments:

  1. Can you believe I’ve never read a Mercedes Lackey novel before? I suppose it’s because I didn’t like or read fantasy for the first half of my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of her books are older and a bit dated, and aren't often in the main stream bookstores but I really enjoy the way she incorporates romance into her fantasy but without taking over the story.

      Delete